Mother Nature’s delay of Spring has kept me inn-the-kitchen baking and when I am here, this is one of my favorite yummy’s to prepare! You can make this recipe as cupcakes or a cake…whichever you prefer!
Main Street Manor’s Spiced Carrot Cake
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, plus more for pan
- 1 cup (spooned and leveled) all-purpose flour, plus more for pan
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt (I use greek)
- 1 cup finely shredded, packed (about 2 medium) carrots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush an 8-inch round cake pan with oil. Place a round of waxed or parchment paper in the bottom; brush with oil, and dust with flour, tapping out excess. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cardamom, and salt; set aside. In a small bowl, whisk eggs, sugars, yogurt, and oil until smooth. Gently mix egg mixture into dry ingredients until moistened; mix in carrots. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 40 to 45 minutes (if browning too quickly, tent cake with aluminum foil). Cool in pan, 15 minutes. Turn out of pan, remove paper, and cool completely on a rack, right side up. Dust with confectioners’ sugar or frost with cream cheese frosting (recipe below). Enjoy!
NOTE: Can be made into cupcakes…use a 12 cup muffin pan and line with baking cups. Bake for about 20 mins @ 350 until done. Cool and dress with cream cheese frosting (below).
Cream Cheese Frosting
- ½ lb cream cheese at room temp
- 12 T unsalted butter at room temp
- 1 t vanilla extract
- ¾ lb sifted confectioners sugar